This post is called Ping pong because my general practitioner is calling it this way due to the rehab institutions sending me back to each other.

The first rehab center I was sent to by the rehab doctor in April told me I was still too weak to follow their program. I also needed a recommendation from my physical nurse practitioner, who I talked to during almost all past months, except the months I wasn’t allowed to go. They also needed a recommendation from a psychosomatic physiotherapist. I asked my former physiotherapist for a recommendation. She treated me for torn anklets, not knowing back then that I was also recovering from Covid-19. Knowing the whole story and my background, she wondered why I was sent to the rehab I mentioned and not a special Covid-19 rehab program. I asked my general practitioner to send me to a specialized Covid rehab.

After a few weeks, my general practitioner got the message to send me to a pulmonologist first. She also sent me out for an x-ray of my heart and lungs. I searched on the referral to see if I needed to make an appointment. Nope, so I went to the hospital. As I love to drive my car, knowing can’t concentrate well, I try sometimes. The first trip by car in a long time went well. Arriving at the hospital ended up needing to make an appointment. And it was on the referral. 😔 Luckily, they could fit me in within half an hour to get my X-ray done. On the way back home, I almost got hit by another car. I got agitated, but later on, I realized I was the one running the red light. 🥵 This never happened to me before…

Weeks went by while waiting for my appointment with the pulmonologist. When I called the hospital, I found out it was I who had to make the appointment. It was mentioned in the referral. 🙄

Meanwhile, I’m also visiting a psychosomatic physiotherapist, just 10 minutes by tram away from my home. After the first time I went there, I went to get ice cream afterward. I sat down on a bench under a bridge in Delft. After a while, I noticed I fell asleep because I woke by the noise from a boat pulling in.

Last week I went to the pulmonologist to get a referral for Covid rehab. Instead of the referral, I got more tests. The next day I got the first one. In the pictures, I’m laughing, but afterward, I was crying. It’s hard to do this all by myself; I feel lonely. I’m happy with the caring staff in the hospital, and I feel I’m finally in good hands. In two weeks, I will have the other test and test results. And a referral to go to Covid rehab and make a start, so I can join the other rehab program afterward. 🤞🏼

Written by


DAPHNE IN STOCKINGS is a writer with a blog telling her story about surviving blood clots, living with FVL, blood thinners, and stockings. And coping with Covid-19 twice in 2020. She's telling her story about building resilience in a physical and mental struggle to heal.